Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

On Getting Rid of Possessions and Taking Stock


“HOW ABOUT $2600?”

“It’s all yours, man,” I say without hesitation.

As we walk inside, I am surprised by how easy the last words came out of my mouth. I feared I would not be able to pull the trigger when the time came. We sit down to sign the paperwork. I want to make sure I am giving away a piece of my life to a decent guy, so I make small talk with him. He tells me that between two jobs, school, and the impending rainy season, having a car will make life easier. His answer satisfies me and, without him asking, I let him know that I am selling the car because I will be traveling soon.

The mention of travel gets his attention. “Actually, I’m getting rid of almost everything I own before I leave. Do you need anything else?” I sound like a salesman, I think to myself.

Travel is not the only reason I’ve decided to get rid of my things. I have other reasons: freedoms from the space, time, money, and energy these possessions occupy in my life. I want to limit myself of the comforts and easy solutions that they offer, forcing myself to be resourceful with what’s in front of me, finding comfort from within, not externally. Lastly, by trimming down, I hope to see what is truly necessary in my life.

Continue reading on Matador Network

No comments:

Post a Comment