Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

What I Would Say to Osama bin Laden


Zen monk Thich Nhat Hanh talks about how listening is the first step towards peace.

If you could speak to Osama bin Laden, what would you say to him? Likewise, if you were to speak to the American people, what would you suggest we do at this point, individually and as a nation?

If I were given the opportunity to be face to face with Osama bin Laden, the first thing I would do is listen. I would try to understand why he had acted in that cruel way. I would try to understand all of the suffering that had led him to violence. It might not be easy to listen in that way, so I would have to remain calm and lucid. I would need several friends with me, who are strong in the practice of deep listening, listening without reacting, without judging and blaming. In this way, an atmosphere of support would be created for this person and those connected so that they could share completely, trust that they are really being heard.

Read more: http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Islam/2001/10/What-I-Would-Say-To-Osama-Bin-Laden.aspx#ixzz1LFFvk3l4

No comments:

Post a Comment