Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Zen Music – An Interview with Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin


from sweepingzen.com

Interviewed by Holley McCoy Eller

Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin is an American Grand Master of the shakuhachi flute. He has performed in numerous concerts, lectures and demonstrations in the US and Japan. Here he is interviewed by Holley McCoy-Eller.

Website: http://www.nyogetsu.com/

Holley: Where were you born and raised? How did you end up studying the shakuhachi – what inspired you to go off to Japan?

Ronnie: I was born in 1947 in Brooklyn, NY. I always had two passions and interests – one was music and the other was some sort of social activism. I was a theology major in college at the New School for Social Research. A few years after leaving college I went to Japan, where I got active in a religion called Ten Ri-Kyo, one of the so-called New Religions in Japan. But I’ve always been interested in religion and spirituality – and of course Buddhism, since shakuhachi is the only melodic instrument used in Zen Buddhism. My wife is an active Chan Buddhist.

Continue reading the rest of the interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment